To ensure that the respective workforce’s training, qualifications, emergency response of critical marine, work practices and emergency support equipment is fully compliant with company and industry standards. A critical factor in realizing reliable safety and operational excellence.
Safety & compliance surveys represent one of the most important elements in the implementation of an effective occupational health and safety program. This requires experiences Inspectors to conduct regular work area safety inspections, to record detailed information about all of your safety observations.
Linking these observations to non-conformance reports and corrective and preventive actions to identify and prevent potential hazards through recording and trending observations across offshore job sites and geographical regions.
The benefits and purposes of conducting safety & compliance surveys are as follows:
- To Identify uncontrolled hazardous conditions, processes, and work practices that may lead to injury, illness, or prohibited releases to the environment
- To serve as a communication tool by which responsible individuals are made aware of the Potentially hazardous processes, conditions, or work practices and appropriate control measures
- To Identify regulatory risk by assessing compliance with various regulatory standards. OCS is fully qualified to conduct such survey’s to verify the required compliance and ensure that your drilling unit is fully compliant with relevant standards and can improve operational stability and sustainability
- Prevent the occurrence of catastrophic events
- Reduce serious injuries and fatalities
- Design leading and lagging measures that drive safety performance
- Strengthen safety leadership capability
- Integrate process and personal safety leadership best practices into a continuous performance improvement system
- Integrate contingency planning within daily operations
Compliance – Marine & Safety
The cornerstone of good safety management compliance is commitment from all. In matters of safety and pollution prevention it is the commitment, competence, attitudes and motivation of individuals at all levels that determines the end result.
OCS provides comprehensive risk assessment inspections of all aspects of offshore operations and compliance to international standards. OCS have developed software tools to support operational management of safety and environmental issues and can also provide through-life-cycle marine safety, environmental management and risk assessment.
Safety and quality programs adopted by the Oil & Gas industry have become increasingly sophisticated, the marine & safety management system codes therefore ensure that each and every offshore installation complies with the mandatory safety rules and regulation and follows the codes, guidelines and standards recommended by the IMO, classification societies, and concerned maritime organizations.
Every marine safety management policy should satisfy some of the basic functional requirements to ensure safety of every offshore installation. They are:
- Procedure and guidelines to act in an emergency situation
- Marine safety and environmental protection policy
- Procedure and guidelines for reporting accidents or any other form of non-conformities
- Clear information on level of authority and lines of communication among the rigs crewmembers, and between shore and offshore personnel
- Procedures and guidelines to ensure safe operations of offshore installations and protection of the maritime environment in compliance with relevant international and flag state legislations
- Procedures for internal audits and management reviews
In recent years however, the prevention of accidents and environmental damage still depends largely on the ability of the vessels crew to respond promptly and professionally in a crisis situation.
The objectives of the audits are to ensure safety in an offshore environment by
- Prevention of human injury or loss of life
- Avoidance of damage to the environment, in particular to the marine environment and to property
- Safety management objectives of the Company should, inter alia:
- Provide for safe practices in ship operation and a safe working environment
- Assess all identified risks to its ships, personnel and the environment and establish appropriate safeguards
- Continuously improve safety management skills of personnel ashore and aboard ships, including preparing for emergencies related both to safety and environmental
- Continuously improve safety management skills of personnel ashore and aboard ships, including preparing for emergencies related both to safety and environmental protection
OCS can support Companies wishing to develop, implement and maintain a marine safety management system which includes these functional requirements:
- Develop a safety and environmental protection policy
- Develop Instructions and procedures to ensure safe operation and protection of the environment, in compliance with relevant international and flag State legislation
- Develop defined levels of authority and lines of communication between, and amongst, shore and offshore personnel
- Develop procedures for reporting accidents and non-conformities with the provisions of this Code
- Develop procedures to prepare and respond to emergency situations
- Develop procedures for internal audits and management reviews
For more information on OCS Group, please contact us.