Staff Mechanical Design Test Engineer will lead full life cycle development of automated test equipment, for OCS 1 battery programs. The position is based in Reno/Tahoe, Nevada.
- Set the standard of technical and leadership excellence for the team. You will be capable of executing any level of test design to lead from the front.
- Develop innovative technologies for ultra-reliable testers, unit defect detection capabilities, and previously unimagined production rate scaling capabilities.
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Able to define most efficient plan for testing, focusing on test time reduction and appropriate complexity to promptly release testers.
- Modeling and testing for stress, thermal, fluid, and mechanical aspects of machines/components, that perform effectively while exposed to daily abuse of a manufacturing environment.
- Embed with product design teams to drive design for test/manufacturing.
- Ensure test machines provide effective testing coverage, protect the unit under test, meet up time needs, and reduce cycle time requirements for scalable high volume manufacturing.
- Drive enhanced mechanical design standards, best practices, and tools to improve designs.
- Characterization and validation of new equipment for introduction to the production floor.
- Drive continuously increasing test automation, including robotics and actuator based test systems.
- Create outstanding documentation packages, train others in the maintenance and long term usage of the test systems.
- Team leadership, mentoring growing engineering team.
- BSME, MSME, or PhD ME.
- 7+ years of experience designing best in class mechanical products and test automation systems.
- Ability to lead projects and architect the overall system design in cooperation with electrical and software test automation disciplines.
- Experience with initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balancing product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Be able to perform required analysis to ensure a successful design (stress, strain, thermal, tolerance, cost and mass optimization, etc).
- Solid knowledge of heat transfer and thermal management.
- Expertise in material science of components used in mechanical design (metals, insulators, plastics, connectors, gaskets, etc).
- Desire to drive ultra-reliable, cost effective designs that beat schedules.
- Expertise in SolidWorks, CATIA, FEA simulation, GD&T, and design for reliability concepts.
- Experience in deploying test machines in a large scale manufacturing environment and ability to come up with rapid methods for scaling and duplication of test equipment.
Remain engaged, proactive and positive in tough circumstances, owning assignments and taking full accountability for overall team success.